Sunday, October 2, 2016

Weekend at Savegre

Hola todos!
   
     This weekend, I went to Savegre with Heidi, Alfonso, Moisés (father), Moisés (son), José, José Manuel, and José Luis. It was a lot of fun, and I got to meet 2 boys from the Sola Fe community (where Heidi and Alfonsos' church is). Saturday we had some conversations about creation and how we are stewards of the earth, and we need to take care of it. Moises (father) read us various bible passages that have to do with creation, and/or caring for the earth, and then Heidi talked to us about ways we can care for the earth with the decisions we make. So we talked about fabric (reusable) diapers, re-using waterbottles, rechargable batteries, buying local fruit that is in season, refillable deoderants, and using washable plates/cups/flatware. The resulting skits about using these items were cheesy, but entretaining. After dinner and and a documentary about gangs in El Salvador, Alfonso and I led a devotional, except that we had already talked about the psalm that I had chosen, and I think I had heartburn, so I wasn't much help, and I went to bed as soon as it was acceptable. Also, it was COLD, like two pairs of pants (jean capris and sweats), a light sweater under my big sweatshirt and two (3 in the AM) pairs of socks cold. Luckily there was a wood buring stove in the middle of the main room that I could sit close to.
     Sunday moring I was up at 5:20 (5 minutes late) to go find quetzals, unfortunately, we only heard them. After breakfast, I went on a trail ride with 2 trail guides, Jose Manuel, Jose Luis, and Moises (son). The horses were typical trail horses, but the trail its self was actually kind of challenging. We crossed the river 4(?) times, and for the first time in my life, I was on a horse who did not balk or decide to play in the middle of the water :). There were parts of the trail that were really steep and I got left behind in the saddle when my horse jumped a bit to get started, and these saddles were not particularly comfortable (my butt and legs feel bruised), and I probably would have felt safer in a jumping saddle with jumping length stirups. On the way back, we got to gallop, and it was so much fun! I haven't had the chance to really gallop in a long time, and at one point, the trail guide who stayed toward the front yelled like a cowboy and the two of us raced for a ways (who knows who won). My only regret is that I did not get the guides' names, or the name of my horse.
     After the trail ride, we went "fishing" for trout. I say "fishing" because there were a whole bunch in a small pond. Granted, I only caught one (with help from an emplyee) while one of the boys caught 5. The trout that we caught became our lunch and it was delicious. After lunch, we cleaned up, evaluated the weekend, prayed it up, and left. On the way back, I mostly slept, but I woke up and started singing when "Message in a Bottle" by the Police came on the radio.
     Overall, it was a wonderful weekend, spent in and around nature, to relax and forget about everything I have to do for school on Tuesday. Here is a link to all of the photos from my phone, as well as the video on youtube. When I get ahold of the pictures of me with my fish and other pictures, I'll add them to the album.
https://goo.gl/photos/B7QkZboR1nuw1Vsi9
https://youtu.be/O-hlXQuZb4E

Hasta luego!
Caylyn

No comments:

Post a Comment