Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Field Trips!

Hola todos!

     Sorry for the delay in posts, I've been super busy these last few days. So, this weekend (and Thursday) was full of new experiences. On Thursday Heidi took a friend's parents and me to a rose garden, which was super cool (more on that when my Valpo Voyager blog is updated) and I'll include a link to the photo album of all of the amazing flowers. https://goo.gl/photos/YoyVtyuCwa4JdyP58
     Saturday was crazy, I left at 7:30 AM with Moises (a friend of Heidi and Alfonso) and his sons Moises and Jose to meet Alfonso and two others at the UBL so that we could follow Alfonso to Guayabo National Monument. Guayabo National Monument is a great place for a hike and also has a really amazing archeological site. In an open space, there are huge rings of rocks, which were the bases of houses and the height and diameter of the rings showed a person’s status in the community. Leading into the village there is (what looks like) a perfectly smooth cobblestone road that is multiple layers thick in some places. Before someone would have been able to enter the village, they had to pass between twin checkpoints that were elevated above everything else. According to Heidi, this community was probably at the point of building pyramids if the conquistadors hadn’t come and wiped the people out. I don't have any pictures though because I accidentally left my phone in the car, so I'll share the pics that Alfonso took of me when I get them. 
     After Guayabo, we drove to a really cool viewing point that overlooks the "valley of gold"/Orosi where the oldest church still in use is located.

The church is a Franciscan Mission and there is a museum full of furniture, clothing, books, and more. Again, no pictures because I was too busy looking at everything with my own eyes instead of through a camera. 

     Finally, we stopped at the Basilica of Los Angeles which was built to honor La Virgen de Los Angeles, the patron saint of Costa Rica. Inside, you can see the rock where the figure was found, and in another part, there is water from the river coming out of various spouts. There is also a worship area, but we didn’t stay long since mass was in progress. To read about the legend of Los Angeles, follow this link: info about la virgen de los angeles. Again no pictures, but lots of memories.

Hasta luego,
Caylyn

No comments:

Post a Comment